Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dr. Jekyll

I have considered having my 7 year old name be legally changed to Dr. Jekyll.  He can be the most calm, pleasant, and docile child that has ever lived.  I turn my back for one second and suddenly 'Mr. Hyde' is leaping on my back from the top of the refrigerator.  I shake him off and within seconds I hear the piercing scream from my petite ten year old daughter (who looks like she could lose an arm wrestle with a newborn baby) desperately holding up our 36" T.V. while 'Mr. Hyde' works his way behind it.  I help her steady the massive screen and hear the garage door shut.  My younger son runs to me shouting, "Daegan is on the van again!"  I head out the door to find him sliding down my windshield.  There is a very noticable footprint smeared across the drivers side that will surely be a hazard the next time I drive toward the setting sun.   He races past me back into the house.  My husband informs me that his family is planning an adult only cruise and asks if I want to go.  I look at him incredulously.  Who on earth would agree to watch our four kids (five if you count Mr. Hyde, who really should count as ten) for two weeks?  Even if someone did agree, and had their sanity checked out, I have a hard time believing that the 'vacation' would truly be relaxing for me knowing that Mr. Hyde is out there wreaking havoc upon innocent bystanders.  So his new idea is to leave the others and just take Daegan.  I'm sure that won't cause any sibling jealousy and negative retributions, since the punishment for being a troublemaker is now a vacation alone with mom and dad.  Besides the idea of taking my climbing and water obsessed son onto a big boat in the middle of the ocean sounds far from fun.

1 comment: