Monday, April 11, 2011

Roller Coaster

I watched the car as it dipped and soared past along the track. I couldn't hear the happy shrieks from the passengers. Their noises were covered by the screams that were reverberating throughout the surrounding area and had captivated the attention of hundreds; diverting every eye to me. I stared straight ahead at the roller coaster, allowing the wind created by the fast moving cars, to dry the tears that were forming in my eyes. I couldn't help but compare my life to the ride before me, full of ups and downs and occasional loops. This moment would definitely qualify as a down. Our family vacation had just taken a turn for the worst. My autistic son was freaking out big time. He had seen an attraction he wanted to go on and was not content waiting in the line. He was screaming as only he can scream. The same scream that has gotten him transferred to the back of the school bus in hopes that the aged bus attendant will not lose what is left of her hearing. And now that scream has resulted in the questioning stares shooting at me from all directions as I hold my child down by my legs that are draped over his body as he thrashes around and my hands are held like vices around his wrists. Usually the pressure of my partial body weight is a comfort to my son, but it quickly became apparent that this was not the case on that particular day. I rethink my strategy as I see a man with his hand hovering over his send button on his cell phone, obviously debating on whether or not to make a call. I sweep that six year old boy off his feet and cradle him in my arms. I hold all his limbs in as tightly as I can, which is no easy feat due to his size, and I rock him back and forth as hard as I can while restraining him. His tight muscles begin to relax and I finally breathe a sigh of relief as the screaming subsides and the crowd disperses with their eyes averted. As I sit there frantically rocking, a surprising smile pushes its way to the surface as I envision myself in ten years cradling a sixteen year old boy. Imagine the crowd that will draw.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I hear you on that - Just keep praying that you will know how to handle each new situation quickly and effectively.
    (((hugs)))
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    You are such a good mom!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete