Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Vacation"

I hung up the phone and raced off to pick my daughter up from school, excited with my news.  As she jumped in the car I announced to her that I was taking all the kids to Colorado for two whole weeks.  She burst into tears.  She begged and pleaded to be left home.  It is pretty bad when your nine year old would rather stay in school rather than go on a trip with her family.  My daughter isn't crazy, she has just been on one too many of our 'vacations'.  She has finally caught on.  Our 'vacations' are kind of like those timeshare deals where you get a wonderful deal on a trip with the catch that you must attend their 90 minute meeting where they rope you into selling your soul.  Our deals are a little different.  The meeting is really some new therapy or treatment for our autistic son.  For example, this upcoming 'vacation' is a bargain costing only $4000 dollars.  With this low price my son will receive two half hour sensory treatments every day for twelve straight days.  Throughout our time there, it is suggested that we not fill our day with many other activities.  A huge bonus is, like most therapies, his unwanted behaviors are expected to escalate before they get better.  That is all part of the wonderful package.  Bottom line, two weeks confined to one small hotel room, no sightseeing, no sleep, and lots of screaming, hitting, and poop smearing.  Now tell me, what child wouldn't jump at the chance to come on that dream vacation.  Nevertheless, my daughter will be staying home with daddy this time.  This means my mother will be the lucky volunteer to come along for the ride this time.  This will be her first experience, and I may not have fully explained the situation.  Sorry Mom, it is too late for you to back out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment