Monday, May 9, 2011

Special Diet

The store's automatic sliding door closes behind me.  My son's voice is amplified now that we are in the building.  I hear a man's voice behind me.  I turn to look at him, bracing myself for an irritated stare.  I am surprised at the reaction I see on his face; incredulity.  It is only then that I truly listen to the words coming from my six year old son's mouth, "Rice Cake, Rice Cake, Rice Cake!"  The man is amazed.  No pleading for candy or junk food from this small child.  My mother and I laugh; however his words make me want to cry.  How horrible is his new 'special diet' if it causes him to beg for plain/non-flavored, let's face it, Styrofoam.  All three of my son's have been living on a milk-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, preservative-free, colorings-free, taste-free diet for over a week now, and the rice cakes have been the highlight of their week.  We make a beeline for the aisle which should be labeled 'Almost Edible Foods'.  I quickly toss two bags of rice cakes at my son who clings to them for dear life.  His breathing starts to calm as he lovingly gazes at his own personal 'manna from heaven'.  As the cashier rings up the $30 total for the one small bag of groceries I realize that it is a small price to pay to see the look of complete joy on my son's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment